Main Article Content
A new four parameter lifetime model called the Weibullgeneralized Lomax is proposed and studied. The new density function can be "right skewed", "symmetric" and "left skewed" and its corresponding failure rate function can be "monotonically decreasing", " monotonically increasing" and "constant". The skewness of the new distribution can negative and positive. The maximum likelihood method is employed and used for estimating the model parameters. Using the "biases" and "mean squared errors", we performed simulation experiments for assessing the finite sample behavior of the maximum likelihood estimators. The new model deserved to be chosen as the best model among many well-known Lomax extension such as exponentiated Lomax, gamma Lomax, Kumaraswamy Lomax, odd log-logistic Lomax, Macdonald Lomax, beta Lomax, reduced odd log-logistic Lomax, reduced Burr-Hatke Lomax, reduced WG-Lx, special generalized mixture Lomax and the standard Lomax distributions in modeling the "failure times" and the "service times" data sets.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- Aarset, M. V. (1987). How to identify a bathtub hazard rate. IEEE Transactions on Reliability, 36(1), 106-108.
- Ali, M. M., Yousof, H. M. and Ibrahim, M. (2021a). A New Version of the Generalized Rayleigh Distribution with Copula, Properties, Applications and Different Methods of Estimation. In Optimal Decision Making in Operations Research & Statistics: Methodologies and Applications, CRC Press. To appear.
- Ali, M. M., Ibrahim, M. and Yousof, H. M. (2021b). Expanding the Burr X Model: Properties, Copula, Real Data Modeling and Different Methods of Estimation. In Optimal Decision Making in Operations Research & Statistics: Methodologies and Applications, CRC Press. To appear.
- Alizadeh, M., Yousof, H. M., Jahanshahi, S. M. A., Najibi, S. M. and Hamedani, G. G. (2020). The transmuted odd log-logistic-G family of distributions. Journal of Statistics and Management Systems, 23(4), 1-27.
- Al-babtain, A. A., Elbatal, I. and Yousof, H. M. (2020). A New Flexible Three-Parameter Model: Properties, Clayton Copula, and Modeling Real Data. Symmetry, 12(3), 440.
- Altun, E., Yousof, H. M. and Hamedani, G. G. (2018a). A new log-location regression model with influence diagnostics and residual analysis. Facta Universitatis, Series: Mathematics and Informatics, 33(3), 417-449.
- Altun, E., Yousof, H. M., Chakraborty, S. and Handique, L. (2018b). Zografos-Balakrishnan Burr XII distribution: regression modeling and applications. International Journal of Mathematics and Statistics, 19(3), 46-70.
- Aryal, G. R., Ortega, E. M., Hamedani, G. G. and Yousof, H. M. (2017). The Topp Leone Generated Weibull distribution: regression model, characterizations and applications, International Journal of Statistics and Probability, 6, 126-141.
- Atkinson, A.B. and Harrison, A.J. (1978). Distribution of Personal Wealth in Britain (Cambridge University Press, Cambridge).
- Balkema, A.A. and de Hann, L. Residual life at great age, Annals of Probability 2, 972-804, 1974.
- Bryson, M. C. (1974). Heavy-tailed distribution: properties and tests, Technometrics 16, 161-68.
- Chahkandi, M. and Ganjali, M. (2009). On some lifetime distributions with decrasing failure rate, Computational Statistics and Data Analysis 53, 4433-4440.
- Chesneau, C. and Yousof, H. M. (2021). On a special generalized mixture class of probabilistic models. Journal of Nonlinear Modeling and Analysis, forthcoming.
- Cordeiro, G. M., Yousof, H. M., Ramires, T. G. and Ortega, E. M. M. (2018). The Burr XII system of densities: properties, regression model and applications. Journal of Statistical Computation and Simulation, 88(3), 432-456.
- Durbey, S. D. (1970). Compound gamma, beta and F distributions, Metrika 16, 27-31.
- Gupta, R. C., Gupta, P. L. and Gupta, R. D. (1998). Modeling failure time data by Lehman alternatives. Communications in Statistics-Theory and methods, 27(4), 887-904.
- Corbellini, A., Crosato, L., Ganugi, P and Mazzoli, M. (2007). Fitting Pareto II distributions on firm size: Statistical methodology and economic puzzles. Paper presented at the International Conference on Applied Stochastic Models and Data Analysis, Chania, Crete.
- Cordeiro, G. M., Ortega, E. M. and Popovic, B. V. (2015). The gamma-Lomax distribution. Journal of Statistical computation and Simulation, 85(2), 305-319.
- Elbiely, M. M. and Yousof, H. M. (2018). A New Extension of the Lomax Distribution and its Applications, Journal of Statistics and Applications, 2(1), 18-34.
- Elgohari, H. and Yousof, H. M. (2020a). New Extension of Weibull Distribution: Copula, Mathematical Properties and Data Modeling. Statistics, Optimization & Information Computing, 8(4), 972-993. https://doi.org/10.19139/soic-2310-5070-1036.
- Elgohari, H. and Yousof, H. M. (2020b). New Extension of Weibull Distribution: Copula, Mathematical Properties and Data Modeling. Statistics, Optimization & Information Computing, 8(4), 972-993. https://doi.org/10.19139/soic-2310-5070-1036
- El-Morshedy, M., Alshammari, F. S., Hamed, Y. S., Eliwa, M. S., Yousof, H. M. (2021). A New Family of Continuous Probability Distributions. Entropy, 23, 194. https://doi.org/10.3390/e23020194
- Gad, A. M., Hamedani, G. G., Salehabadi, S. M. and Yousof, H. M. (2019). The Burr XII-Burr XII distribution: mathematical properties and characterizations. Pakistan Journal of Statistics, 35(3), 229-248.
- Gleaton, J. U. and Lynch, J.D. (2006). Properties of generalized loglogistic families of lifetime distributions. Journal of Probability and Statistical Science, 4, 51-64.
- Goual, H. and Yousof, H. M. (2020). Validation of Burr XII inverse Rayleigh model via a modified chi-squared goodness-of-fit test. Journal of Applied Statistics, 47(3), 393-423.
- Goual, H., Yousof, H. M. and Ali, M. M. (2019). Validation of the odd Lindley exponentiated exponential by a modified goodness of fit test with applications to censored and complete data. Pakistan Journal of Statistics and Operation Research, 15(3), 745-771.
- Goual, H., Yousof, H. M., & Ali, M. M. (2020). Lomax inverse Weibull model: properties, applications, and a modified Chi-squared goodness-of-fit test for validation. Journal of Nonlinear Sciences & Applications (JNSA), 13(6), 330-353.
- Harris, C.M. (1968). The Pareto distribution as a queue service descipline, Operations Research, 16, 307-313.
- Hassan, A.S. and Al-Ghamdi, A.S. (2009). Optimum step stress accelerated life testing for Lomax distibution, Journal of Applied Sciences Research, 5, 2153-2164.
- Ibrahim, M., Altun, E. and Yousof, H. M. (2020). A new distribution for modeling lifetime data with different methods of estimation and censored regression modeling. Statistics, Optimization & Information Computing, 8(2), 610-630.
- Ibrahim, M. and Yousof, H. M. (2020). A new generalized Lomax model: statistical properties and applications, Journal of Data Science, 18(1), 190 - 217.
- Ibrahim, M., Yadav, A. S., Yousof, H. M., Goual, H. and Hamedani, G. G. (2019). A new extension of Lindley distribution: modified validation test, characterizations and different methods of estimation. Communications for Statistical Applications and Methods, 26(5), 473-495.
- Lemonte, A. J. and Cordeiro, G. M. (2013). An extended Lomax distribution. Statistics, 47(4), 800-816.
- Lomax, K.S. (1954). Business failures: Another example of the analysis of failure data, Journal of the American Statistical Association, 49, 847-852.
- Mansour, M. M., Ibrahim, M., Aidi, K., Shafique Butt, N., Ali, M. M., Yousof, H. M. and Hamed, M. S. (2020a). A New Log-Logistic Lifetime Model with Mathematical Properties, Copula, Modified Goodness-of-Fit Test for Validation and Real Data Modeling. Mathematics, 8(9), 1508.
- Mansour, M. M., Butt, N. S., Ansari, S. I., Yousof, H. M., Ali, M. M. and Ibrahim, M. (2020b). A new exponentiated Weibull distribution’s extension: copula, mathematical properties and applications. Contributions to Mathematics, 1 (2020) 57–66. DOI: 10.47443/cm.2020.0018
- Mansour, M., Korkmaz, M. Ç., Ali, M. M., Yousof, H. M., Ansari, S. I. and Ibrahim, M. (2020c). A generalization of the exponentiated Weibull model with properties, Copula and application. Eurasian Bulletin of Mathematics, 3(2), 84-102.
- Mansour, M., Rasekhi, M., Ibrahim, M., Aidi, K., Yousof, H. M. and Elrazik, E. A. (2020d). A New Parametric Life Distribution with Modified Bagdonavičius–Nikulin Goodness-of-Fit Test for Censored Validation, Properties, Applications, and Different Estimation Methods. Entropy, 22(5), 592.
- Mansour, M., Yousof, H. M., Shehata, W. A. and Ibrahim, M. (2020e). A new two parameter Burr XII distribution: properties, copula, different estimation methods and modeling acute bone cancer data. Journal of Nonlinear Science and Applications, 13(5), 223-238.
- Mansour, M. M., Butt, N. S., Yousof, H. M., Ansari, S. I. and Ibrahim, M. (2020f). A Generalization of Reciprocal Exponential Model: Clayton Copula, Statistical Properties and Modeling Skewed and Symmetric Real Data Sets. Pakistan Journal of Statistics and Operation Research, 16(2), 373-386.
- Pougaza, D. B. and Djafari, M. A. (2011). Maximum entropies copulas. Proceedings of the 30th international workshop on Bayesian inference and maximum Entropy methods in Science and Engineering, 329-336.
- Rodriguez-Lallena, J. A. and Ubeda-Flores, M. (2004). A new class of bivariate copulas. Statistics and Probability Letters, 66, 315-25.
- Salah, M. M., El-Morshedy, M., Eliwa, M. S. and Yousof, H. M. (2020). Expanded Fréchet Model: Mathematical Properties, Copula, Different Estimation Methods, Applications and Validation Testing. Mathematics, 8(11), 1949.
- Tadikamalla, P. R. (1980). A look at the Burr and realted distributions, International Statistical Review 48, 337-344.
- Yadav, A.S., Goual, H., Alotaibi, R.M. Rezk, H., Ali, M.M. and Yousof, H.M. (2020). Validation of the Topp-Leone-Lomax model via a modified Nikulin-Rao-Robson goodness-of-fit test with different methods of estimation. Symmetry, 12, 1-26. doi: 10.3390/sym12010057
- Tahir, M. H., Mansoor, M., Cordeiro, G. M. and Zubair, M. (2015). The Weibull-Lomax distribution: properties and applications. Hacettepe Journal of Mathematics and Statistics, 44(2), 461-480.
- Yousof, H. M., Ahsanullah, M. and Khalil, M. G. (2019). A New Zero-Truncated Version of the Poisson Burr XII Distribution: Characterizations and Properties. Journal of Statistical Theory and Applications, 18(1), 1-11.
- Yousof, H. M., Alizadeh, M., Jahanshahiand, S. M. A., Ramires, T. G., Ghosh, I. and Hamedani, G. G. (2017). The transmuted Topp-Leone G family of distributions: theory, characterizations and applications. Journal of Data Science, 15(4), 723-740.
- Yousof, H. M., Altun, E., Ramires, T. G., Alizadeh, M. and Rasekhi, M. (2018). A new family of distributions with properties, regression models and applications, Journal of Statistics and Management Systems, 21, 1, 163-188.
- Yousof, H. M., Majumder, M., Jahanshahi, S. M. A., Ali, M. M. and Hamedani G. G. (2018). A new Weibull class of distributions: theory, characterizations and applications, Journal of Statistical Research of Iran, 15, 45-83.
- Yousof, H. M., Ali, M. M. Goual, H. and Ibrahim, M. (2021). A New Reciprocal Rayleigh Extension: Properties, Copulas, Different Methods of Estimation and Modified Right Censored Test for Validation. Statistics in Transition. To appear.